Saturday, July 3, 2010

Heraclitus' Stir Fry


Heraclitus was a Greek guy who said, "You cannot step into the same river twice." Profound. I often think of Heraclitus when I cook, because I tend to change even my own recipes to suit my mood and what I have on hand.

Like granola, where you can throw in this and that and change quantities and still end up with a good result, stir fries can be infinitely varied, something to be thankful for on a Saturday morning when you come home from the Pasco Farmer's market loaded with booty.

I went in an Asian direction today, although I eschewed soy sauce. But you could use olive oil, leave the ginger out and add thyme, rosemary, basil, sage ... and dust the stir fry with Parmesan before serving. Or use oregano and feta cheese ... or add chicken or shrimp ... just don't step in the same stir fry twice.
__________________________________________
HERACLITUS' STIR FRY

2 tablespoons coconut oil or vegetable oil
3 weird zebra-striped zucchini, sliced
3 spring onions, quartered or so
2 generous handfuls sugar-snap pea pods, topped and cut in half if you like
1 hunk of cabbage, sliced
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Toss in everything but the garlic. Stir fairly often to keep the vegetables cooking evenly, until everything is tender crisp and to your liking. Stir in the garlic, then serve with rice or couscous.

4 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment