Sunday, February 7, 2010

Arugula and Goat Blue Pesto

They try, they really do. Earthbound Farms organic "baby arugula" is ... arugula. If I hadn't had so many bursting farmer's market bags of exuberantly green, just-picked, exquisitely fresh arugula, I probably would look upon my five ounces of plastic-tubbed, security-sealed, limp and faded arugula leaves with more favor.

Thankfully, there is something to do with below-grade arugula that will carry us onward to that ever-nearing day when the first farmer's markets open. Pesto! It hides a multitude of deficiencies.

For the cheese, I almost put in some of the smoked goat gouda that I have became smitten with, but .... the other day I picked up a little wedge of goat's milk blue cheese, and with the peppery flavor of arugula, I thought I had a match. Yep. It's really good

This pesto was great on whole-wheat pasta, and I also used it to top sauteed whole portobello mushrooms.
_________________________________________
ARUGULA AND GOAT BLUE PESTO

One 5-oz package arugula leaves, washed and spun
1 garlic clove, peeled
2 tablespoons crumbled goat blue cheese (or regular blue, Gorgonzola, etc.)
1/4 cup walnuts
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
A grind or two of black pepper

Blend all in a food processor until smooth and pesto-y to your liking. Use to stuff mushrooms, top scrambled eggs, stir into pasta, top bowls of tomato soup ... whatever your imagination can dream up.

Makes about 1 cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment