Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Herb 'n Onion Potato Soup

I just had to do something with one of those beautiful CSA onions tonight. I hadn't used the potatoes from Box 2 yet, so I got them out, and of course, soup came to mind.

What with the excitement of the new box and all, I got a bit over-enthused about herbs, and put in some oregano from my garden, and some of the CSA sage. But next time I will stick with just the thyme. It's a very simple soup, and doesn't seem to want a lot of conflicting herb flavors. I try to keep dairy foods to a minimum, but you could add some milk or cream to this.

__________________________________________
HERB 'N ONION POTATO SOUP

5 or 6 potatoes
1 large onion
A quart or so of chicken broth
Thyme

Peel and dice the potatoes and onion, and put in soup pot. Add chicken broth and thyme to taste. I used about 2 teaspoons. Bring to boil, then simmer 'til potatoes are soft. Run a potato masher through the soup, and taste for salt. Add additional broth if the soup becomes too dry or if you like a thinner soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment