Friday, January 22, 2010

Salad of Fresh Greens with Gorgonzola-Goat Cheese Dressing

Washing and sorting the CSA salad mixes is always a pleasure. You can actually smell the tang of freshness, and there are many tiny leaves, barely unfurled, that add texture, flavor and fun.

This is it, folks. This is why we sign up for CSAs and the local food they bring us. Bottom line, this salad mix bears no resemblance whatsoever to the funny-tasting, limp stuff from the supermarket.

Now, the dressing. In summer I would be inclined to use a vinaigrette, but this is a more robust winter mix, and includes vigorous spinach and tatsoi, so a heartier dressing seemed more apt. Or maybe I was just craving something creamy.

I had a quarter cup of Oregonzola cheese, so crumbled it and put it in a bowl with about a quarter cup of milk, thinking I would just add a quarter cup of mayonnaise with suitable apologies here (I do look upon boughten mayonnaise as a health and culinary compromise although I do sometimes use it grudgingly), when I discovered that I had no mayonnaise. The dressing was too thin without it, so ... rummaging, I found some soft goat cheese and stirred it in.

People, this is why we can't be afraid to experiment ... it was like these two cheeses had been waiting all their lives for each other. I ground a little black pepper in just to complete the fusion.

Voila. The perfect, creamy complement to my crisp, wondrous greens.

___________________________________________
GORGONZOLA-GOAT CHEESE DRESSING

Combine in small bowl:

1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola or other blue-type cheese
1/4 cup soft goat cheese
1/4 cup organic milk
A grind or two of black pepper

Stir and mash with a fork to blend, leaving some bits so it has a chunky texture that pleases you. Add a little more milk if needed to thin. Pour generously over two salad plates of fresh CSA greens.

No comments:

Post a Comment